Finally, I found THE one! Antique commode redo

I’ve been searching for an antique commode for a lonnnnnggg time.  My grandmother had a couple in her home and I loved the cute little cabinets.  I’ve searched kijiji, antique stores, roadside freebies, yard sales…everywhere.   Most were either too much work (covered in old paint, falling apart) or over priced (more than $100).    A couple weeks ago,  I finally found one on kijiji. Great price and in good shape.  Sign me up!  I didn’t bother bartering and gave full asking, $60.  Since I was refinishing it for myself, it was a great deal.

Here’s the before…

image

image

image

There wasn’t much work to be done structure wise.  The door wasn’t attached but the hardware was included.  I would have had to take the door off to paint the base, so it worked out.

I wanted to do a two-toned look; painted base, wood top.  So I started by sanding down the top.  Its always a crap-shoot refinishing an old piece of furniture.  You don’t know what the wood grain looks like underneath or if there are stains in the wood.  But imperfections in wood add character!  So I try to work with what I uncover.

Side note:  I dislike the sanding part.  Recently, I bought a new sander…and it was a great purchase!  It has made sanding so much easier.  The hard-cased dust collector is my favourite feature.  I’ve had a couple of sanders with cloth bags and they always get a hole in them.  Dust everywhere.  This time, sanding was quick and painless and there was only a little bit of dust clean up.  I definitely recommend the Bosch!

image

Before, the old finish was blotchy.  I lucked out, the wood grain underneath was beautiful.  I wanted to show it off.    These days, I love using a mid-tone stain colour, so I chose Minwax Provincial.  Something like dark walnut or expresso would be too dark on this piece and hide the grain.

Here’s a reminder of the before…

image

And now….

image

It looks more yellowish in this picture,  the top is more of a warm brown.

I chose to do the base with my favourite ASCP colour,  Paris Grey on the outside and Duck Egg Blue for the inside.  I did little distressing around the edges and corners.   When painting with ASCP, I like to use a green scrubby sponge for wet distressing.  It doesn’t make a mess and it’s a quick way to get the job done.   I finished up with satin Varathane, hung the door and added two new knobs.  And the beauty is done!

I love how it looks.

IMG_0813IMG_0809IMG_0795IMG_0791IMG_0803IMG_0790

It’s always fun hunting for a special piece of furniture.   Since the commode is finished and sitting pretty in my room, I must go watch hockey!  Playoffs started this week and my team is playing tonight.  Oh my nerves!  I should go pour myself some wine. 😉

Thanks for stopping by!  I’ll be back next week with some more makeovers!

Go Caps go,

Laurena 🙂

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Finally, I found THE one! Antique commode redo

  1. Pingback: Painting with the essentials. | Pivot ~ Paint ~ Create

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s