I received another furniture donation! My lovely cousin was getting rid of a couple items from her house and she sent me a message asking if I wanted them. There was a desk that had great potential, so of course I couldn’t refuse! Luckily they live just a stone’s throw from my workshop so her husband dropped it off. Side note: I can’t wait to trade in my Corolla for a hatchback car. Sigh. Next year for sure!
The desk needed a little bit of repair. There was some veneer missing on the bottom and I had to fix up the joints to make it more stable. After a bit of wood filling and sanding the table was ready to paint!
I knew I wanted to use General Finishes Milk Paint, but what colour? I hadn’t used Lamp Black or Costal Blue in awhile, so I hummed and hawed over the choices. I chose Coastal Blue. Love this colour. One coat of general finishes milk paint does amazing things. I only needed to do a quick second coat and it was looking good.
I painted two coats of the blue and painted inside the drawers. I stopped there. Something was missing. I loved the navy colour, but the desk needed something else. Maybe I’m used to doing two toned style with a wood top. The desk needed something to make it pop. I looked for inspiration on Pinterest. Looked around for stencils I could use. And finally thought, painting a union jack on the top would be perfect. Penny and I painted a coffee table long ago and it turned out lovely!
Since I had the paint colours on hand, I was going with the traditional union jack colours. Red, white and blue. After looking at a picture of the union jack flag on my phone, I planned what stripe width would work on the desk top. Using a measuring tape and ruler square I found the center of the desk, and I taped out the middle and diagonal stripes. I painted the inside of the tape white (after removing some of the tape). Once dry, I taped out the areas for the red stripes and painted those.
Once everything was painted and dry, I distressed the desk to make it look more of a weathered flag. Then sealed with varathane.
The knob choice was difficult. I didn’t have many matching knobs (lots of pairs but not 3 of them). I chose three knobs that were creamy white, similar to the Antique white used in the stripes. Love how they look against the navy blue.
Here is the final product!
I love how it looks now! I decided to go with the imperfections of the desk by distressing it. The desk is perfectly imperfect now! 😉
Hopefully it will find a new home soon.